“My heart was never yours to darken,
but you tried your best.
Too bad it wasn’t enough.”
No matter how much I try to forget about you, you’re always there in the shadows. Like my own personal ghost. My demon from the past. I’ve come to accept that you’ll always be with me, and I don’t know if that realization is a relief, or yet another burden for me to bear. Either way, I’ll keep compiling a list of all the things I’ve overcome — all those things you told me I could never do. And until the day I die, I’ll keep proving it.
- Fall in love
- Be loved
- Get married, happily, to a decent human that loves me back
- Own a home
- Get a college education
- Become a mother
- Raise an intelligent, empathetic human
- Write, and not be terrible at it (I’m humble, so I find it difficult to say I do it well)
- Explore other creative paths (like art, editing, book cover creation, and more)
- Rescue animals from sociopaths like you…
© Sarah Doughty
2018 (except for expanded list)
One year older, one more year of memories.